Registered Nurse - First Assistant - RNFA - No call/weekends!
Our busy, multi-specialty Ambulatory Surgery Center in Madison, TN is offering a full-time opportunity to a well-qualified surgical first assistant – Registered Nurse to join our talented team!
- M-F, daytime hours
- No weekends/call/holidays
- Ideally seeking 2 years of Operating Room Registered Nurse experience in a multi-specialty surgical setting
- 1 year of First Assistant experience required
- Active RN license in TN required
A surgical first assistant is an integral part of the surgical team. The team works together in the operating room to ensure the patient receives quality care during a surgical procedure. A surgical first assistant works closely with the surgeon to facilitate the procedure and process of surgery.
Surgical first assistants are expected to prepare and position the patient for surgery, assist in visualization of the operating field, provide hemostasis, harvest surgical grafts, perform closure of incisions, and apply various wound dressings. In addition to these intraoperative duties, surgical first assistants also perform pre- and postoperative activities to facilitate optimal patient care.
Surgical first assistants work under the direct supervision of the surgeon, following facility protocol and policy as well as other laws and regulations.
Common roles and responsibilities of a surgical first assistant include:
- Positioning the patient for surgery and aiding with draping
- Clearing the area where the surgeon will operate and holding open incisions by using tissue retractors, sponges, or operating suction or irrigation equipment
- Selecting and passing instruments and supplies during an operation
- Stopping bleeding by sponging, clamping, tying, or cauterizing vessels, or suturing tissue layers as directed by the surgeon
- Applying dressings to surgical wounds
- Counting sponges, needles, and other materials before and after the operation
- Closing the incision at the end of the procedure
- The list above is certainly not comprehensive as the role of a surgical first assistant will vary greatly depending on the surgical procedure.
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicant’s or
employee’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin,
age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will
make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities
unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet participates in the E-Verify program. Follow the link below for additional information.